Welcome to UltraBirken cycle!
Organized for the 12th time in 2024, Saturday August 31st
The track will be appr. 110 km long, start at Pellestova into the mountains and finish at Håkons Hall at the Olympic city of Lillehammer.
All competitors must have passed 17 years of age as per December 31, 2024 and must carry a backpack with requestet contents.
All competitors must download correct GPS-track when it is released, and follow the correct track. It is the competitors own responsibility to cycle the correct UltraBirken track and see to that their navigation equipment has sufficient power during the race.
Track information for UltraBirken cycle
Start at Pellestova and finish at Håkons Hall, Lillehammer.
Information about the track 2024 will be released during the summer 2024.
All competitors must download correct GPS-track and follow the correct track. It is the competitors own responsibility to cycle the correct UltraBirken track and see to that their navigation equipment has sufficient power during the race.
The GPS-track will be released when the track is set.
Food- and drink stations
Place - preliminary information Km Serving Start Pellestova Refill Maxim sports drink and water 22 Maxim sports drink, water, bananas, pastry, refill water 40/50 Maxim sports drink, water, bananas, pastry, refill water 62 Maxim sports drink, water, bananas, pastry, refill water 70 Maxim sports drink, water, bananas, pastry, refill water 89 Maxim sports drink, water, refill water Finish 100 Maxim sports drink, water, Red Bull, Vørterøl (beer) and Gilde sausage
Refill of water to private bottles is on the last table in the row (self service).
Do not litter the nature
Throw your litter in the drop zones or bring it to the fninsh.
Starting times and classes
Competitors will be seeded in waves according to results obtained in previous Birken cycle races or from races sanctioned for qualification for UltraBirken cycle 2024
W/M 17-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79
Age by 31.12.2024Men in wave 1 and the best seeded women in preliminary wave 2 start at start shot. All other start at real time.
Preliminary starting time Wave 09.00 1 09.10 2 09.20 3 09.30 4
Bus and parking
Bus to the starting area
Bus to the starting area departs from Sigrid Undsets veg below Kristins Hall (Håkons Hall) Saturday morning at 07.30.
The ticket costs NOK 150,- and includes tranportation of your bike.
Cycles are transported in trucks following the bus
Note: You must book in advance ( no later than at 20.00 the night before) at your My Page
Parking is available northeast of Håkons Hall and on Randgaardsjordet. Follow the signs to the designated parking area.
The parking fee is NOK 95,-
Due to lack of parking space at the starting area: Please park your car by Håkons Hall, and use the bus transport to the starting area.
Please park your car by Håkons Hall, and use the bus transportation to the start area.
All participants finishing the race recieves a participation medal just after the finish line. A diploma stating your time is also available at your My Page or inside Håkons Hall at the race day.
The top three in each age class recieve their prizes from the stage in Håkons Hall.
Luggage labelled with your name and start number:
You can deliver your luggage at either at Håkons Hall before entering the bus to the start, or in the starting area.
Luggage claim outside Håkons Hall, Lillehammer.
Note: If it is raining we will provide plastic bags to keep your luggage dry.
The organizers accept no liability for loss of luggage.
Storåsen at 18.00
Important phone numbers
Alarm: +47 91 10 87 07
Abandoning the race: +47 90 55 90 03
Participants that must abandon the race
If you abandon the race, you MUST call or send a text message to +47 90559003. This is very important, to prevent a full scale search for you.
NOTE: If you are hurt, or need other assistance, please call +47 91108707.
Need to know in advance
- Change of Bib pick up place
- Registration and reregistration at 21.00 if available spots
- Booking bus at 20.00
- Ordering cycle license
- No registration/entry on race day
- Registration after August 28. for Birkebeinerrittet: You must pick up your Bib in Rena
Travel and accommodation
Start: Rena and Finsih: Håkons Hall, Lillehammer
Travel and accommodation
Bus transport for participants and bicycles is also available for these events, from Oslo and Lillehammer to Rena.
Accommodation Rena and Lillehammer
Buses and trains
Buses from Oslo and Lillehammer to Rena is available for booking through your My Page from two weeks prior to the race. Booking must be made before 20.00 the evening before the race, or you can buy your ticket in Håkons Hall, Lillehammer.
Train: Check departures and order at VY
Oslo airport, Gardermoen
If you are arriving by car, please view recommended driving pattern in Rena and Lillehammer.
Travelling by car from Oslo is not difficult. Follow the E6 north. If you are going to Rena, take the exit to Elverum, and follow the road signs from there. Rena is approximately 2,5 hours from Oslo. Travelling to Lillehammer - follow the E6 until Lillehammer is on your right, this takes about two hours.
If you have more questions, or need help booking - please contact us.
Bus transport incl. bikes
Bus transport for participants (incl. bikes) - see bus table for dates, times and departures. You can pre-order bus transport through My Page , until 20.00 the day before your departure. There is no refund for unused tickets. Booking will open in June 2024
Cycle transport are included when ordering bus
Cycles are transported on lorries at your own risk. We advise you to protect your cycle with fabric or bubble wrap.
Mattress accommodation in Rena
Accommodation in Rena is available in schools and other suitable buildings for Birkebeinerrittet.
The mattress is provided, but you must bring your own sleeping bag, and sheet. In the evening, you can purchase food at, or close by, the facility.
If you wish to stay in the same facility as a friend, or you team, make sure you all choose the same site.
Breakfast is included in the fee.
Booking is available when entering or through your My Page.
• Booking in advance until Tuesday in race week: NOK 495,-
• Booking on site the night before race day: NOK 650,-
There is no refund for any reason.
Groups (more than 15):
Please contact Arve at email@example.com
Birkebeinerrittet 2024: August 22nd
Åmot Ungdomsskole (Ungdomsskolen)
800 meters north west of the center of Rena. You can walk or bike. Parking available. Breakfast is served on site and you can buy a warm evening meal if you wish.
Rena skole (Barneskolen) - not available in 2024
1 km north west of the center of Rena. You can walk or bike. Parking available. Breakfast is served on site and you can buy a warm evening meal if you wish.
Race rules for Birkebeinerrittet
Birkebeinerrittet run according to the UCI's MTB rules and NCF's laws and regulationsin addition to Birken's own regulations.
General traffic regulations and road signs must be observed. Please pay attention to the environment, the public and co-racers. Parts of the route will be closed for ordinary traffic, and supporter vehicles are not permitted.
- Participants in the age classes may use the service stations.
- The organizers reserve the right to stop late racers from completing the race.
- You may not start using another person's entry/bib or in an earlier wave than assigned.
- For your safety it is not allowd to use any form of audio during the race.
All participants, regardless of class, must carry a 3,5 kilo backpack during the entire race, until crossing the finish line. The backpack must be visible, and can not be worn underneath clothing or bib.
For safety reasons the pack must contain
- wind-/water resistant jacket and pants
- Hat or buff headwear
- Extra food
- Tools and hose kit
- We recommend that you bring dry underwear and socks.
Participants who has not got the requierd contents in their backpack before start, will not bee allowed to start until this is provided.
Packs will be checked.
Participants not complying with these requirements will be disqualified or given a time penalty.
If the participants have to put on a lot of the clothing/equipment throughout the race, due to bad weather conditions, the organizer will judge this with a common sense regarding the weight of the backpack.
- A certified helmet is compulsory.
- All bikes used in any terrain competition, should have only propulsion by human power. (Exception: the El-bike class)
- EL-bike is allowed in the EL-bike class in Birkebeinerrittet.
- It is prohibited to install equipment for time trial (ITT), road races or any kind of modification. (Exception: All-road classes)
- In the All-Road classes (men and women in Birkebeinerrittet 84 km), you can race on a bike with drop bars (example: Gravel bike). NOTE: This is the only classes for drop bars. It is no Birkebeiner Medal in these classes. The tires must be at least 25 mm.
Littering along the route is not allowed. Please bring your own litter to the nearest food station or use the drop zones along the course. Littering along the course can be penalized with 15 minutes added to your time.
Violating the rules
Participants violating the rules will be disqualified or given a time penalty.
- The complaint must be submitted in writing with a fee of NOK 300 at the Race Office in Håkons Hall.
- Against race conditions: 15 minutes after the last competitor has crossed the finish line.
- Against the list of results: 30 minutes after the list and results have been published.
All participants age 13-79 must have a valid license to start in cycle events in Norway. If you have a valid license through national cycling federetaion, please bring your license card when retrieving your BIB.
The license is not included in the entry fee. It can be purchased when entering, through your My Page, or at the race office when retrieving your BIB.
One time license 17-79 years old: NOK 220,-
One time license UngdomsBirken cycle (13-16 years old): NOK 50,-
The Norwegian Cycling Federation
The license is an insurance through the Norwegian Cycling Federation, and should you be injured while participating in an Birken cycle event, this license makes sure that your treatment is covered. Please find more information regarding the license:
On Race day
What happens when ?
Preliminary information 2024
Thursday August 29.
- 15.00 - 21.00 Sport 1 market in Håkons Hall, Lillehammer
Friday August 30.
Rena Åmot kulturhus, Rena Torg
- 11.00 - 21-00 Sport 1 market
- 15.00-21.00 Distribution of Bibs and registration
- 15.30 - Registration and distribution of bibs BarneBirken cyckle.
- 17.00-18.00 - Start BarneBirken 0-11 years old
- Activities for kids
- 10.00-21.00 Distribution of Bibs and registration
- 10.00-21.00 Sport 1 market
- 17.00-17.50 Start BarneBirken sykkel
Saturday August 31.
Rena, Åmot kulturhus og Rena Torg
- From 07.00 Distribution of Bibs in Åmot kulturhus
- 07.00-15.00 Sport 1 market
- 09.00-12.00 Start Birkebeinerrittet
- 09.00 start Men Elite
- 09.05 start Women Elite
- From 07.30 distribution of Bibs UngdomsBirken sykkel
- 09.00-09.45 start UngdomsBirken sykkel
- 09.00-09.30 start UltraBirken cycle
- 13.00-13.15 start HalvBirken cycle
- 09.00-19.00 Sport 1 market
- 09.00-19.00 Race office
- 09.00-19.00 shower and wardrobe
- appr. 09.30 first participant UngdomsBirken
- 10.45 Prize ceremony UngdomsBirken and Ungdomstrippelen
- appr. 11.30 first Men Elite expected to the finish
- appr. 12.10 first Women Elite expected to the finish
- 13.00 Prize ceremony Men and Women Elite
- appr. 13.15 First participant UltraBirken cycle
- 14.00-18.00 Prize ceremonies Birkebeinerrittet and Birkebeinertrippelen
- 12.00 - 15.00 Lost and found in Haakons Hall
Distribution of Bibs
Preliminary information 2024
Lillehammer, Håkons Hall
Birkebeinerrittet, UltraBirken cycle, HalvBirken cycle, UngdomsBirken and BarneBirken
- Friday August 30th: 10.00-21.00
UltraBirken cycle and HalvBirken cycle
- Saturday August 31th from 7.30
- Saturday August 31th from 7.30
Rena, Åmot kulturhus
- Friday August 30th: 15.00 - 21.00
- Saturday August 31th: 07.00 - until the last start
Race packets that is ordered to Lillehammer and not been retrieved in Lillehammer the day before the race, may be picked up in Åmot kulturhus Rena, on race day.
On the race day
Race packets must be collected at least 1 hour before your starting time. Allow for some extra time as traffic will be heavy.
Please show your starting card to testify paid entry fee, license and bib number.
- Stadium maps
- Traffic / parking
Timing / Bib
The bib must be fastened to the handlebar according to instructions.
Your result is registered in the chip that is integrated in your start number.
Time keeping starts when crossing the start mat.
Exeption: Start at start shot
Start shot (the start time is registered by start shot) applies for:
- Birkebeinerrittet: The elite classes, Men and Women Elite Jr. and Sr.
- Wave 1
- UngdomsBirken cycle: All classes and waves.
We offer simple service such as changing of hose, chain, brake pads, as well as adjusting the gears and brakes before start and at the service stations along the track.
The service is performed by experienced mechanics.
It will be possible to clean (flush) dirt off your bike at the service stations.
We recommend that your bike is well maintained and checked before you arrive at Rena. It is also important to bring some equipment for bike care in your backpack, such as hose, small tools and a pump.
Free bike parking is available in the finish area. The parking is in a closed of area, and your bike is insured against theft while in the parking area. The parking area is open until 21.00
The owner of the cycle is identified by the starting number, and to retrieve your cycle from the area, you must bring your starting card, Birken-app, your wrist tag or your luggage tag.
It will be possible to clean (flush) dirt off your bike before you leave the area.
The bicycle park closes at 21.00 saturday.